The Albatross
Wednesday 28 May 2014
Today we skipped off down the road to the town of Figueres, which is home to an old theatre, that Dali restored and made his art gallery. He was born nearby. The museum is fantastic and very Dali, the art is incredible, but the crowds are simply insane. Hoards were pushing and shoving (literally) and many people insisting on photographing every single piece of art. Why? You haven’t looked at a single picture, just photographed it, and I guarantee you’ll never look at it again; what’s more half of you are doing it on a shitty camera phone or worse an iPad (do you know how stupid you look). One retard was filming it.
I’m glad I saw it, but the experience was not a pleasant one. The museum needs to start a timed ticketing system to control the numbers, and they need to ban cameras and short pushy old women with bony elbows. I’d hate to see the place in peak season.
After a much needed quiet lunch to recover from the full body contact art, we wandered back through Olot to the tiny town of Santa Pau, which was very quiet and very beautiful.
Just as we were leaving it started rain which soon turned into a torrent. We chose to sit out the bulk of the storm in a car park as the roads were windy and narrow.
Eventually we made it back to pick up some groceries and chill out. I must say that I like the supermarkets, there is so much space devoted to pig in every conceivable form, and I really want a whole leg, but Australian customs might take it off me. You could get one that came with a couple of sausages, a lump of cheese and a footy for a bargain or the good stuff for a bit more. Awesome!

